Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Fertility Diet




I can’t believe that it is already Thursday!!! It is so crazy how fast time flies. So last night I finished the book The Fertility Diet. It was well to be honest Super Boring and I had to force myself to read it. I am so glad I did though because although the book was dull the info was really good. It basically broke down the nutrition value and how it helps you obtain you goal. He then showed his evidence through the National Nurse’s Study. It was refreshing to know I was doing a lot of things right and scary to know what I was doing wrong. He also includes a lot of good tips for women struggling with PCOS. So here are the most interesting things I have learned.



1. “Trans fats are a powerful deterrent to ovulation an conception”

Now I know we all know that trans fats are bad, but I never thought it would be that bad but it make since. This also makes me a bit sad because I love my Tobacco flavored Cheese its. Would it be distasteful to have a funeral for trans fat by eating it? Ahhh I guess the best answer is to stay away. I also learned that on those funny little nutritional labels that they can say no trans fat if it has fewer then .5 grams in it; so you have to look for key words such as “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil” and “vegetable shortening”. {This must be pretty important for he mention’s to look out for it 4 times in that chapter.}



2. “ The amount of carbohydrates in (a) diet doesn’t affect fertility, but the quality of those carbohydrates does” …… “ …cold breakfast cereals, white rice, and potatoes were linked with a higher of ovulatory infertility.”

NOOOOO!!!!! How sad is this info? All of the above food are staples in my house. What am I going to do? Bring out the black veil for I am in morning over my favorite foods. I guess brown rice isn’t that bad and I don’t like cereal so that’s good, but potatoes? COME ON! I am from Idaho how can I not eat potatoes‘. I just got to keep telling myself I will be happy in the long run.



3. “Among women with …PCOS , this amount of weight loss (7%) can not only restore ovulation and menstruation but can also clear the skin and curb excess facial hair.”

I love this! 7% seems much easier then the lbs that I really need to lose. I literally read this and thought holy cow I am almost there! I then I got the good feeling butterflies in my tummy and the world was good…even if for now it doesn’t include potatoes.




4. “Taking folic acid may also somehow directly stimulate ovulation”

Now they recommend 400mcg of folic acid in a multi vitamin. How exciting is this I knew to take while trying just in case but I never knew that it would help to become pregnant! All I can think is yeah I am doing something right.





So there are some things that I learned. All in all the knowledge that I received was totally worth reading it. I plan to follow it as best I can. I do recommend it to any one who is struggling to have a baby I am hopping that it will help me with my long term goal of being pregnant.



My next book I am planning on reading is The Infertility Cure: The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for Getting Pregnant and Having Healthy Babies

So I will let you know how it goes. What books have you read that have helped you?



BOOK INFO: The Fertility Diet: Groundbreaking Research Reveals Natural Ways to Boost Ovulation and Improve Your Chances of Getting Pregnant (Hardcover)

~ 

Jorge Chavarro (Author) , Walter Willett (Author), Patrick Skerrett (Author)
You can find this book for a good deal on Amazon I think I found it there for like $6.00.

“Our challenges, including those we create by our own decisions, are part of our test in mortality. Let me assure you that your situation is not beyond the reach of our Savior. Through Him, every struggle can be for our experience and our good (see D&C 122:7). Each temptation we overcome is to strengthen us, not destroy us. The Lord will never allow us to suffer beyond what we can endure (see 1 Corinthians 10:13).”

Robert D. Hales, “Becoming Provident Providers Temporally and Spiritually,” Ensign, May 2009, 7



Tiff

2 comments:

Tami said...

I have to believe carbs are the devil!! LOL I haven't had any carbs for almost 2 weeks, and I can't believe the difference I feel! I have to move to Phase 2 on South Beach in a week, and start adding carbs, and it freaks me out! Your info was great though! I am about halfway to 10% lost. Let us know how the next book goes! :)

Kim said...

I read the infertility cure and loved it! It changed me....I started acupuncture immediately and take chinese herbs. I have noticied considerable improvements in my cycle since I started. I no longer get sore BB's after ovulation, my flow is better and for the first time in almost a years I am going to have a perfect 28 day cycle!!! I hope you love it as much I did.